What are cookies and how do they work?
Cookies are files sent by web servers to web browsers, and stored by the web browsers. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables a web server to identify and track web browsers. Cookies are not programmes and therefore cannot contain viruses or other malicious software. They are purely a string of text and numbers.
There are two main kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies are deleted from your computer when you close your browser, whereas persistent cookies remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach their expiry date.
Session cookies only last during a single visit. When you close your web browser the session cookie information is automatically removed from your computer.
Persistent cookies are stored by the user’s web browser even when the web browser has been closed, so that the next time a user goes back to the website that originally set the cookie, the web site can read information back from the cookie.
Persistent cookies have an expiry date which controls when they are automatically deleted. This can be anything from a few minutes to several years, depending on your own browser settings.
The A30 Referral’s website uses session cookies for two purposes:
- Two session cookies are set that temporarily store a unique identifier for each visitor to the website. This identifier is a random series of letters and numbers and doesn’t contain any personal or identifiable information. It is used to help count the number of visitors to the A30 Referral’s website.
- Two cookies are set by the computer systems that run the A30 Referral’s website. These cookies are used as part of the process of sending web pages to the user’s web browser and are essential – no website using Microsoft technology will work without these cookies.
Other cookies we use:
- A30 Referral also use a cookie to remember a user’s website preferences such as preferred language, currency and delivery country. The first time a customer visits the A30 Referral website they are asked to confirm this information which is then stored in a cookie set to last for 1 year. Without this cookie the customer would have to re-enter their preferences every time they visit the website.
- A number of persistent cookies are also set by the computers that run the A30 Referral website. These cookies are solely used to record technical information necessary for our web servers to work properly. No personally identifiable information in stored in these cookies.
How to delete your browser cookies: –
- Select Tools and then Options to get to your settings.
- Click Privacy and then remove individual cookies where it will open another window on your screen.
- You can then select to delete individual cookies or all cookies on your browser.
- To change your settings for your browser history and cookies, please select Use custom setting for history from the drop down box.
- You can then choose your preferences for browser history and cookies by using the tick boxes and the drop down box. Click OK and your settings will save!
- Select Tools, Internet Options and on the small window you will see the Delete button. Clicking this will bring up the next window.
- Tick the options relevant and then Delete. On the previous window from step 1 you can then click OK to apply and close.
- You can set your browser to delete history and cookies every time you close your browser by ticking Delete browsing history on the window from step 1.
- Click the menu button on the right of your address bar and go to History. This will open a new tab to show your settings.
- You can then click Clear browsing data.
- Tick the boxes that you want to apply and then Clear browsing data to confirm.
How to delete your browser cookies – Safari:
- Open Safari if it is not already open.
- Choose Safari > Preferences, and then click Privacy.
- Click Details.
- Select one or more website that stores cookies, and then click Remove or Remove All.
- When you finish removing websites, click Done.